New Zealand-based Draken is launching their latest tool watch: The Benguela. Designed to reflect rugged African terrain, the Draken Benguela is equally at home under the sea.
Introducing the Draken Benguela
We were big fans of the Kalahari, Draken’s last watch, and this one looks just as good.
- Helium escape valve (HEV), and a case engineered for pressures of at least 50ATM.
- Two movement options: Swiss ETA 2824-2 automatic or Japanese SII NH25A.
- Tapered, bead-blasted stainless steel case to maximise traction on the bezel while avoiding bulkiness.
- Hooded lugs for simple bracelet attachment via quick release pins
- Ratcheting clasp for quick adjustment when wearing a wetsuit.
- Solid stainless steel bezel with engraved numbers and a luminous triangle at the zero minute marker.
- Sandwich and applied bead-blasted indices on the dial. Concentric circle design creates depth, for a detailed dial without the clutter.
- Vintage coloured X1-C3 luminous paint for maximum visibility in any situation.
- Symmetrical date window with luminous date wheel (useful in extremely dark environments).
- Punch engraved sea monster lurking on the back of the watch case.
Founded in 2016 by South African ex-pat Michael Blythe, Draken is focused on creating dependable tool watches with unique designs for explorers and adventurers. Inspired by the dramatic landscapes of Africa, Michael and the brand are strongly linked to the continent. Africa can be a harsh and unforgiving place, but also starkly beautiful. It’s this beauty that Draken says inspires their designs.
Draken Benguela specifications
- 43mm diameter, 22mm lugs, 15mm thick
- 316L bead-blasted stainless steel
- 50–100ATM water resistance (TBD)
- 120-click unidirectional
- Bead-blasted stainless steel
- Luminous marker at 0min
- Single domed sapphire
- Inner anti-reflective coating
- 3.7mm thick
- Knurled with luminous Draken logo
Movement (2 options available)
- SII NH35A automatic movement
- 21,600 vibrations per hour
- 41h power reserve
- ETA 2824-2 automatic movement
- 28,800 vibrations per hour
- 38h power reserve
- 316L bead-blasted stainless steel bracelet with ratcheting clasp and quick release pins
- Natural rubber strap with quick release pins
- Genuine tan leather with quick release pins (optional extra)
Buy a Draken Beguela
The Draken Benguela will be available for pre-order on Kickstarter in 14th August with a special launch offer of $349 for Seiko NH35A movement, and $469 for the ETA 2824-2. For more information visit drakenwatches.com/benguela and sign up to the newsletter.