The Casio AE-1200WH has become a cult classic in watch-collecting circles thanks to its close resemblance to the Seiko G757 watch Roger Moore wore in Octopussy. Chinese mushroom brand SKMEI has created an homage to this Bond homage. How bad can the SKMEI Dual Time be for $12?
SKMEI Dual Time “Casio Royale” Review
Well, what can I say? I’ve never intended this blog to be the kind that only covers watches I like, but I also try not give watches a kicking – even if they are not to my taste. The SKMEI Dual Time, however, genuinely left me lost for words when I tried to make a “first impressions” video. So, in a break from tradition, I’ll let you watch that first…
I won’t go into too much detail about this watch, as it is so bad that I genuinely do not think it is relevant. The key points are:
- The case appears to be made of plastic
- The bracelet is metal, but not as I know it – it is some kind of light alloy that feels rough to the touch and which I could bend with my bare hands. It has folded links and hollow mid-links and is the cheapest metal bracelet I’ve ever handled.
- The watch itself appears to function as you would expect, although I have my doubts about the quality of its internals
- The light looks good, although it only illuminates for a matter of seconds
- From a distance, the SKMEI Dual Time looks okay, but it is absolutely dreadful to wear!
The Casio AE-1200WH “Casio Royale”
The main reason I wouldn’t recommend buying this watch – even for a joke, like I did – is that the real thing is only £25 from Amazon! Yes, the Casio AE-1200WH is a budget watch but it feels ten times better on the wrist than this cheap version, plus you don’t have to wait six weeks for Aliexpress to deliver it! Click here to view the Casio Royale on Amazon – personally I avoid eBay and Aliexpress for Casios as you run the risk of getting a fake from an unscrupulous seller – probably this watch with a different name on it!
SKMEI Dual Time – The WRUK Verdict
Do yourself a favour and spent the extra tenner to get an authentic Casio watch – the SKMEI dual time gets the rare honour of a WRUK thumbs down.