This month’s week on the wrist is something a little different. Casio’s G-Shock range is the go-to watch for anyone who needs a reliable, tough watch that can handle anything. The biggest complaint from watch enthusiasts about the Casio G-Shock range is that they feel so plasticky. Enter the GST range – high-end watches with the durability of Casio’s finest. Here is our Casio G-Shock review.
Casio G-Shock Review GST-W100D
The Casio G-Shock WST range features watches that have a metal mid-case with a metal bracelet and plastic bezel. This construction makes the watch feel lighter than its 50mm size would suggest and looks attractive. The watch links wirelessly to a time signal beamed by radio from Germany and this means it sets itself and it always displays the correct time. Solar power means that so long as it is worn it never needs to be set and no battery changes, ever.
What We Liked: Casio G-Shock GST-W100D
- G-Shock watches are near-indestructible and look great even if they are well-worn
- The metal bracelet adds a classy feel
- The radio time setting function means it’s always showing the correct time
- The links adjust via spring pins, so resizing the bracelet is a breeze
What We Didn’t Like: Casio G-Shock GST-W100D
- The inverse LCD display is very hard to read
- Like all Casios, accessing features is over-complicated and fiddly
- For those used to mechanical watches, the chronograph pushers are the “wrong way round”
- Far too large to wear under a shirt sleeve
Overall: Casio G-Shock GST-W100D
Overall the Casio G-Shock GST-W100D looks great but it is impractical as a daily wearer. We found it too large to avoid knocking into things, yet too light in terms of wrist feel. Honestly, we prefer the all-plastic G-Shock as a beater watch. For £200 we would buy a decent mechanical watch and a plastic G-Shock – that way you get the best of both worlds.
Buy a Casio G-Shock GST-W100D
You can buy a Casio G-Shock watch in the UK from Amazon or eBay. H Samuel and other UK high street jewellers also stock a range of Casio watches. Don’t worry too much about the condition, they are designed to take a beating. Do look out for fake Casio G-Shock watches. These are often emblazoned with S-Shock or similar and are not anywhere near the same quality as a genuine Casio watch.